Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It Tastes So Good

My taste buds are probably amazed lately, they are actually getting flavor!! I have tried so many new foods in the past seven weeks alone I'm excited to see what the rest of my life will bring. I have tried so many new foods and recipes and so far I haven't found anything that I don't like (well except mushrooms...I have learned that I am not a mushroom person). I now love zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, snap peas, peppers, kiwi, lentils...oh the list goes on and on. I am going to start sharing these delicious recipes. One thing I have been struggling with is pizza. I love pizza....goey, cheesey pizza. But cheese comes from milk and milk...is something that I don't want to ingest. I do not want to support the dairy industry, what they do to the cows is sometimes far worse than even those raised in the meat industry. It is ungodly cruel and I cannot stand the thought of it. I will find a way to get past this. In fact, I think I already have. The other night I made Pesto Pizza and it was AMAZING, so amazing that I had to share it with another vegan (my husband is an omnivore, although he did enjoy the pizza). So here I go running across the alley carrying a piece of delicious pesto pizza...guess what? She loved it too. I didn't think to take a picture of it as I'm new to this blogging stuff, but trust me I will take on next time I make it. I actually compiled and tweaked a few different recipes to get to the one I made so here it is:

PESTO PIZZA

Crust:
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup soy milk
1 tsp sugar ( i used evaporated cane juice)
2 tsp active yeast
1 3/4 cups flour ( i used 1 cup unbleached white and 3/4 cup of whole wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
fresh herbs if you want

Warm water and milk to just warmer than lukewarm. Add sugar and yeast to warm liquid. Sift flour and salt then form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add warm liquid, olive oil and herbs. Mix and knead dough for about 3 minutes. Cover dough and let rise for 30 minutes. Then roll out to desired thickness and size.

Pesto Sauce:
3 cups fresh basil
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

In a food processor, blend together the basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly add the olive oil, while blending, until well mixed.

Pizza Toppings:
1 cup baby spinach
1-2 cups of shredded vegan "mozzerella" cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the prepared pizza crust on a baking sheet. Spread pesto sauce evenly over crust. Evenly add the spinach. Then add desired amount of "cheese". Bake for 10-12 minutes. Makes 1 large pizza (approx 8 slices)

No comments:

Post a Comment